Is it time to ditch the fat client IDE of TotalAgility 5.5 and it’s predecessors for the slick new 7 browser based equivalent?
I have to admit that my first experience of TotalAgility 6 was a challenging one. The new browser based designer is a complete IDE rewrite and as such Kofax has taken the opportunity to relocate all those configuration options that you were so used to on the fat client. As with all major software rewrites there is going to be some pain, but this is not without gain and with a bit of persistence I can say without hesitation that I’m 100% converted to the new user interface.
Right Time for Kofax TotalAgility 7 Upgrade !
Version 6 was the introduction of the new browser based designer and it came with a few challenges that have since been rectified in version 7 but even with those little quirks I would have no hesitation in recommending a new customer start a project on version 6 or 7. Now that Kofax TotalAgility 7 in on general release the only question remains is over when is the right time for the customers on version 5.5 and earlier to upgrade their platform to TotalAgility 7 and migrate their solutions.
An upgrade of TotalAgility 5.5 to TotalAgility 7 is not a matter of a simple plug and play; there will be some not-insignificant professional services work to rework forms, plug gaps where functionality has been deprecated and find some new ways to skin those proverbial cats.
How to Upgrade & Migrate to Kofax TotalAgility 7 ?
This article pulls together some of the main points that will need to be discussed within your organization before making the decision to upgrade and migrate to TotalAgility 7.
- A TotalAgility 7 upgrade may come with a different licensing model than that which you purchased earlier from Kofax (or indeed Singularity). You should contact your Kofax or partner representative to discuss the commercials around this.
- Does your solution have custom built process nodes or form controls. These are no longer available since TotalAgility 6. To an advanced user this is a significant regression and I have petitioned Kofax for it’s re-introduction. If you use such custom process nodes or form controls then I suggest that you do likewise through your Kofax or partner representative.
- Does your business rely on the TotalAgility reports and dashboards? These have been deprecated and you may require the Kofax Analytics add-on.
- Do you have an existing Kofax Capture solution? If you intend to switch over to the capture technology embedded in TotalAgility then I would suggest you discuss the licensing implications with your Kofax or partner representative.
- Finally, do you have budget to take on a fairly significant upgrade/migration project?
TotalAgility 7 Upgrade Provides Capture Integration
Given these discussion point we would suggest that you consider seeing this as an opportunity to rework or redesign your process solutions to realize some ROI and so justify the spend. If you intend to stick with Kofax in the medium/long term then you will need to take on the TotalAgility 7 upgrade project at some stage in order to reap the benefits of new Capture integration that comes out of the box with TotalAgility 7 and the option of the new Kofax Analytics (BI) product as an add-on; and not least the inevitable announcement that “Kofax TotalAgility 5.5 is no longer supported”.
A migration to TotalAgility 7 from version 5.5 is by no means an insignificant project and ideally you will be able to source some skilled resources with previous experience of both versions of TotalAgility.
(Future blogs here will discuss the particulars of carrying out a migration from Kofax TotalAgility 5.5 to TotalAgility 7)